Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Project

I'm rereading or reading for the first time all of the classics I can get my hands on. First on deck is The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I'd completely forgotten how easy and conversational Hugo's writing style is. Despite the 160 years separating him from me, in reading his novel I can easily imagine myself sitting across the table from a story-telling friend with an open bottle of claret between us. Of course, him being french, he would no doubt sneer at my choice.

He also has a way of describing characters, their motivations, and the sources of their flaws, that is dear to my sociological heart. With his quick wit and sympathetic writing, even knowing the ending he has in store, I'll no doubt be stunned by the sudden twist toward tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment